Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Last night I worked with Bruce on sitting, his name, and learning that the kitchen is a "cool place" to be. I want him to be OK with being alone in it during the day. Right now he makes whale-wookie like noises that 1- break my heart and 2- I am sure drive my neighbors crazy.

Trials:

I clicked Bruce for hanging out in the kitchen with me, doing nothing. Then I stepped out of the kitchen. I only clicked him when he walked back in. Eventually he was in the middle of the carpet and tile.. trying to cheat and get a treat. Once he was stayin reliably in the kitchen I put the gate up and clicked him a few times when he did not jump up and was just looking around. I didn't want to push him.. so I gave him some love and moved on.

I am hoping to do a little of this each day, so I can eventually get him in the kitchen with the gate up.

The steps I am hoping to follow are:

1- click him for staying in the kitchen with me
2- click him for staying in the kitchen when I step out
^^ get him to recognize its a cool place to be.
3- click him for not jumping up on the gate but just standing calmly with the gate up
4- walking away for a brief second and clicking him for being quiet
5- walking away and then coming back.. and walking around.. for him being quiet.

Not sure how fast this will go.. but I am going to continue to try.

Sitting trial**

Horrible Horrible video quality but... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUVIZ3Wn62g

(I was a little off with my praise and click for the first one.. but thats okay)

I had a treat in my hand and would raise it up to have him sit. When he did I clicked! Once he was doing that reliably and offering up the behavior I gave it a command.

After a 5 minute session he was sitting on command! I am going to keep working on him with this until it is second nature.

Knowing his name**

I will say Bruce! and the minute he makes eye contact- I'll click.

He looks at me about 70% of the time when I say Bruce. He knows it means something, but he is still unsure WHAT it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment