Sunday, August 7, 2011

"I thought you said you were getting a dog... that's an Ewok!"


Happy Sunday everyone!

I am super excited because the Breeder sent a new picture of Bruce. I showed it to a friend of
mine via text who said: "I thought you were getting a dog! That's an Ewok." Yes. Yes it is. It's
an Ewok dog. Don't judge or be jealous ;). ha.

The post prior to this I made a list of "things I want Bruce to do at first." I was watching a video this am and was told that in order to be successful, you need to write out all the tricks and behaviors you want to work on with the dog- so you don't get lost in the middle of training.

SO, here we go. For my own sake- and those of people reading- I am going to link the clicker training video for reference.

Here we go!:



So there we have it. Once I get Bruce I am going to record my sessions and post them- and try to analyze what I did wrong and what I did right.

It occurred to me that I should share why I am interested in documenting Bruce's training and my successes/failures during sessions.

I am currently working on my Masters in Community Agency Counseling. In the long run, my goal is to work with at-risk youth in a therapeutic environment. Ive always been interested in integrating pet and play therapy in with sessions.

Also, as an undergrad I was very interested in behavioral psychology. I got a BS in Psych, and enjoyed very much learning about operant conditioning (positive reinforcement, etc.)

I think this will give me a different perspective when training Bruce. Plus- I get to enjoy the bonding time and seeing him succeed (hopefully!)

Fingers crossed.

On a more silly note... look what I ordered for Bruce.

Backstory: Bruce is named after Bruce Wayne of Batman. I love Batman, so it fits. We were trying to figure out how to name him after Jonathan Crane (The Scarecrow) but it didn't work.. so Bruce stuck.

I bought this ID tag for Bruce on Etsy.com (Link to the etsy page)

She has some REALLY cute tags as well- that I may get down the road. Obviously it will s
ay Bruce instead of Batdog- but how awesome is that?!?!

I agree. Very awesome.



Here is his collar (and the woman who made it also created a leash for him.) She sells cat collars, but made a dog collar for Bruce. I am excited!

Do you see the theme here? That is the extent of how nerdy I will be, but I felt it was necessary.

My goal of today? To find the right trainer for puppy kindergarten and on....




No comments:

Post a Comment